Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The new Spider-Man cartoon on Disney XD has a vaguely modernized 1980's vibe to it.

I think I'm gonna have to start watching the new Spider-Man cartoon that's coming to Disney XD on August 19th. Below is one of the shorts they've released. It's engineered at getting his origin story out of the way so that they can just go straight to adventuring (a splendid idea since most everyone that even likes Spider-man knows how he got his powers).

Given Disney's deep pockets, I am a little bit dismayed that this animation looks only marginally better than the Avengers and Hulk cartoons...meaning that it looks like it has a budget to rival the cost of a Wendy's value meal. But, I guess I could always give it one or two episodes and if the writing matches the animation, then stop watching. One criticism that I have with the animation is that there's little to no shading. That's something any artist learns pretty quickly in art school (of any kind). For some it just comes naturally. Shading in animation must be hard. However, there is one thing I kinda do like about the animation: it has a vaguely modernized 1980's vibe that reminds me of old Dungeons and Dragons cartoons.

But maybe that's a bad thing.... Oh nostalgia, thou art so powerful.

5 comments:

  1. It's OK. Teaches kids the scientific method. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does have that 1980's feel to it, purely because of the animation style, and does remind me of those good old cartoons of old - dungeons and dragons, mysterious cities of gold, Ulyses - I could go on for hours. I quite like that style and they rarely make cartoons like it anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting look. But yea, it's all about the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree; nostalgia is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does seem they're going for the nostalgia, which could interest adult fans.

    ReplyDelete