Friday, November 30, 2012

Pacific Rim just in time for Christmas

I'm so excited! This week Guillermo del Toro started releasing viral videos to help in the marketing of the kaiju fest that is Pacific Rim! OMG you must watch now. And check out the frickin' cool blueprints below. This movie just begs to be made into the greatest roleplaying game ever.
Below you will also find blueprints taken from Screenrant. These are Jaegers. A Jaeger is a gargantuan robot that has two human pilots in the head with one controlling the left hand side and the other controlling the right. The Jaegers are what humans use to fight off the Kaiju in the movie Pacific Rim. And if you don't know what kaiju are, the word means "strange beast" in Japanese and is basically Godzilla, Mothra, and Gamera. You get the picture? You will find my analysis of each Jaeger design in the captions.
ABOVE: The Russian Cherno Alpha. I love the way the head looks. It's
kind of a cross between a cylon helmet and that of a knight's jousting helm
from the Middle Ages, only with huge cannons on the shoulders.
ABOVE: The Japanese Coyote Tango. This looks like a smaller, swifter Jaeger.
My guess is that it is highly maneuverable and we can expect to see some
karate-style moves in this particular robot.
ABOVE: The Chinese Crimson Typhoon. Note the multiple arms. My guess is that this
thing will break loose with some really awesome multiple arm spinning action
and probably flame throwers of some kind. I'm sure Kaiju will not like fire.
ABOVE: The Australian Striker Eureka. This thing is gonna be a massive slice
and dice warrior Jaeger. Just look at those blades on its forearms. Plus the huge
reinforced chest makes me think we'll see some real pro wrestling moves from
this baby.
ABOVE: Finally we have the American Gypsy Danger. It almost looks like the head
can recede into the body. The arms look like they have some kind of missiles in
them. But most of all, my eyes are drawn to that huge dish in the center. I bet
some kind of Death Star super laser comes out of that to totally melt faces.
It's Pacific Rim just in time for Christmas. I hope you are looking forward to this movie as much as me. It's quite possible I may be more excited about this show than I was about Prometheus.

Have a great weekend. 

32 comments:

  1. I'm trying hard not to get too excited over this movie, but it looks so awesome. I love the idea of having all these countries come together to fight a common enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I hadn't even heard of this, but it sounds really cool. thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks heavily influenced by mecha anime. Should work well with CGI. Hope it's not another Transformers though.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Del Toro can do no wrong - this will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More excited than you were about Prometheus? I didn't think it possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm smiling because I can sense your excitement. Those blueprints are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what you're talking about, but those blueprints are kind of cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, you need to add countdown clocks for these things. (I had not heard of this, but then again, I've been out of the loop.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sci-fi senses are tingling. I can't wait for this either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those giant robots are pretty sweet. Makes me wish Hollywood would get its head out of its ass and make a Robotech movie already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you know, I am totally into the whole giant robot thing. Now that I have a new computer, I'm going to have to check out Mechwarrior Online.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never ever heard of this movie. And here I was, thinking I had my finger on the pulse of pop culture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!!!! I love the Gypsy Danger. I'm thinking what you're thinking too. But maybe using such a weapon drains it of energy and is immobilized temporarily. Pilots have to be weary of using it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason couldn't get the video to play. Sounds like an awesome movie! I think I'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like those blueprints -- to me they're art. And I like the "Pacific Rim" title 'cause of the reference to the earthquake/unstable earth zone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, like the others mentioned, those blueprints are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very imaginative and I love the creativity but melting faces, and death stars don't sound like a very positive message so I will probably pass on seeing it. Too bad for me, huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks awesome! loving seein the blueprints

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will discuss this with my children and get back to you! :)

    Mike, I've received your book and will start reading it, thank you! I have not received the one ordered from amazon.com because I have accidentally chosen the slow mail, but it is good, I'll read Oculus first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I come here to keep up on what's going on in the Sci-Fi world. Thanks. This looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. At an exhibit, I saw the original drawings for the Startrek television show. They were child's play compared to these blueprints.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Intriguing. Too technical for me, but who know what reference I'll make use of for my cyborg fairytale. I'll bookmark this.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks cool -- now if only they could include the Mothra theme song...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll probably end up checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG how do I "Like" Milo James Fowler's comment?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow those bots look amazing! It'll be on my list of things to watch now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to be a pilot of the giant robot!

    ReplyDelete